Thread: First offense in 30 years. Do I need a DUI lawyer?

First offense in 30 years. Do I need a DUI lawyer?

First offence in 30 yrars Arreared in Houston Texas. Do I need a Lawyer?

Administrator
    Washout periods or look back periods vary by state. In the state of Texas the washout period for drunk driving is 10 years. If a driver has been arrested for drunk driving and it is more than 10 years from a previous drunk driving charge, the second DWI arrest is considered their first DWI arrest. What does this mean? It means the old DWI arrest has “dropped off” the driver’s record and is no longer used to increase the DWI penalties for subsequent DWI arrests.

If you are convicted of DWI it will be considered your first DWI charge. Unfortunately, since you were arrested previously, the penalties for DWI have become much more severe you are facing the following if convicted:

First DWI Offense in Texas

The first DWI arrest in Texas is a Class B Misdemeanor and penalties can include the following:
    Up to 180 days in jail
    DWI/DUI Fines up to $2,000
    Up to $10,000 if a child under 15 years old was in vehicle
    Potential community services for at least 24 hours but not more than 100 hours
    Drivers License Suspension from 90 days to 365 days

It is time to talk to a DWI lawyer.