Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: My court-appointed attorney was not helpful. What do I do?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    My court-appointed attorney was not helpful. What do I do?

    have a court appointed attorney right now went to court today she never spoke up for me all she told me is they want to give me 3 to 7 yrs i dont know what to do?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    This is a difficult situation. You can ask the court to replace your court-appointed attorney, but you must prove that you have good cause. Some examples of good cause are:

    * She fails to file motions that would obviously help your case
    * She does not attempt to investigate your case
    * A significant breakdown in communication that can be blamed on the attorney (she refuses to take your calls, won't listen to your explanation of events involved in your case, refuses to explain important decisions)

    If you feel like one or more of these describe your situation, you must request a hearing and then explain to the judge where you feel your lawyer has fallen short. You should be advised that most of these hearings are unsuccessful.

    Your best option is to sit down with your attorney for a heart-to-heart. Express your concerns and give her a chance to explain herself and her strategic choices. She may be able to show you what she has been doing on your behalf and how it is the best option. However, if she refuses to talk, or you still have concerns...go to the next step and request that a new attorney be appointed, but be prepared to support your side when the judge asks you your reasoning.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: This website is a group advertisement. is not a lawyer referral service. Subscriber Attorneys appearing on have paid an online advertising fee. Use of this Service is not intended to and does not create an attorney-client relationship between a Subscriber Attorney and any Requestors. is not a law firm. The information contained herein is not legal advice. The attorneys listed do not in any way constitute a referral or endorsement by this website. To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement please click here. If you live in Alabama, Florida, Missouri, New York or Wyoming, please click here for additional information